Rara Lake Trekking
Rara lake trekking is one of the most incredible and fascinating treks in all the Himalayan range lie northwest of Kathmandu in the remote area of Karnali. Rara Lake is the biggest lake of Nepal with the area of 10.8 square kilometers situated at an altitude of 2980 meter from sea level. It lies in Jumla and Mugu districts of the mid-western region of Nepal. Rara Lake has also been recorded as the deepest lake of Nepal which has been confined in the area of Rara National Park, the smallest national park of the country. The Rara Lake has spread in the length of 5.1 kilometer and 2.7 kilometer of width whereas its depth has been fathomed 167 meter. The trek to Rara Lake can be the fascinating trek to enjoy numerous beauty of nature presented at one place where one can experience the mesmerizing glory of lake, along with various species of greenery trees and presence of several wildlife. In addition to a botanists and wild-life researcher, the trail can be an awe-inspiring for nature lover. The quietude and tranquility of the surroundings and its’ marvelous magnitude wouldn’t halt anyone to get entangled into the grandeur of the nature granted in the form of Rara Lake. In spite of its location to the Himalayan region, the trail doesn’t lead you higher than an elevation of 3270 meters which is trailed at Jalajala chaur after quenching the thirst of Rara Lake. Rara Lake has also been the crossroads of Great Himalayan Trail. One can enhances the trekking further west to Humla, the traditional trade route to Tibet and east to Dolpa, the land of pristine and preserved culture of both Khas and Tibetan people.
The usual journey to Rara Lake trekking gets started from Kathmandu, the capital city of Nepal. Flying in the plane one travels to Nepalgunj, the trade hub of mid-western region. Then the flight flies to Khalanga of Jumla. After landing at the airstrip, one follows the low lush land to trail further to the jungle of spruce, juniper, pine and oaks trees, one arrives at the gigantic and magnificent place to enliven the pristine aura created by the hypnotizing Rara Lake. The ultimate creation of nature as a lake can be realized here at the very point of Rara Lake. This is also the prosperous sanctuary of different species of wild animals like Ghoral, Thar, Himalayan Black Bear, Musk Dear, Leopards, and Red Panda etc. Furthermore, it has also been enriched by the birds numbering about 214 species including the national bird of Nepal called Danphe (Lophophorus impejanus or impeyan pheasant) whereas the count of floral species has been recorded 1074. In the category of fauna it has been measured 51 species of mammals.
The optimum period to trail this heaven on the earth has been suggested in September to November and April and May. Because of its freezing cold and snowy path during the months of December to March, one gets difficulty to trek this area.
The Rara Lake trekking is not only restrained to get amazed by the scenic and scintillating view of the lake. Moreover, the trek offers one the experience and insight about the culture and tradition of the locals who are Chhetri, Bahun, Dalit and Thakuris in majority. This is the area mostly inhabited by Khas people. Few Tibetan origin people have also resided in this area.
Jumla, being the kingdom of Kalyal Shahi king and Mugu being the kingdom of Mall king, it has carried and confirmed its phenomenal stand and stature in the history of Nepal. When one seeks to know about the cultural and ritual parts of Nepal and Nepali language, Jumla can be the focal point in many senses. It is believed that the national language Nepali has been originated from Sinja Valley of Jumla, which was once the territory of Kalyal Shahi Kingdom. In this regard, Rara lake trekking doesn’t only offer one a glorious and spell-binding view of the extravagant charisma of the nature but also the cultural and socio-political system of this region which has deeply rooted with the custom and tradition of Nepal.
Even though the state seems to be oblivious to the different issues of this region especially called Karnali, the region has offered and recognized the country in many ways. This is not only the part of Himalayan range of Nepal, it has also owned the most invaluable herbs like Yarshagumba. As a matter of fact, this region is the premier cultural trail-blazer in the unbelievable history of Nepal.
Day 01 of Rara Lake Trekking
Arrival in Kathmandu
Day 02 of Rara Lake Trekking
Kathmandu Sightseeing and trek preparation
Day 03 of Rara Lake Trekking
Kathmandu to Nepalgunj (55 minutes flight).
Day 04 of Rara Lake Trekking
Nepalgunj to Jumla (2370m) (35 minutes flight) to Danphe Langa (3500m) 4-5 hrs
Day 05 of Rara Lake Trekking
Danphe Lagna to Chautha (2770m) 5-6 hrs
Day 06 of Rara Lake Trekking
Chauta to Dhotu (2380m) 5-6 hrs.
Day 07 of Rara Lake Trekking
Dhotu to Rara Lake (2980m) 4-5 hrs
Day 08 of Rara Lake Trekking
Acclimatization/ Explore Rara Lake
Day 09 of Rara Lake Trekking
Rara Lake to Gorosingha (3190m) 5-6 hrs
Day 10 of Rara Lake Trekking
Gorosingha to Sinja (2440m) 5-6 hrs
Day 11 of Rara Lake Trekking
Sinja to Jaljala Chaur (3270m) 5-6 hrs
Day 12 of Rara Lake Trekking
Jaljala Chaur to Jumla (2370m)
Day 13 of Rara Lake Trekking
Jumla to Nepalgunj (35 minutes flight), Nepalgunj to Kathmandu (55 minutes flight)
Day 14 of Rara Lake Trekking
Departure to Airport.
Things included in the package
- We provide you the accommodation which will be shared by two people. However, you can book for the single room with extra charge.
- We will also bear the cost of domestic flight that will be travelled for the trip.
- The overland transport will be held on tourist coach as per the itinerary and size of the group.
- The applicable fee for the Trekking, National Park and Conservation center will be covered.
- Three meals in a day includes breakfast, lunch and dinner which will be provided.
- We offer you a welcome group dinner in an authentic Nepali restaurant with cultural show
- The wages, meals, insurance and transport allowance of all trekking staff and porters will be arranged.
- We also can arrange the planning for the place of interest in the city accompanied by the city guide.
- We also have included the comprehensive medical kit and service of guide and porters.
- We also help you to reconfirm your international flight.
Things Excluded in the package
- pick-up/Drop from/to airport.
- The visa fee you would have to pay for travel, medical insurance and airport tax.
- The meals of your personal interest will not be offered in our expense.
- We would also not provide the personal sleeping bags and bags.
- The charge applied in case of emergency evacuation by any means of transport would not be included.
- The charge for accommodation in Kathamndu in you early arrival before the trip will not be included and also the late departure. Moreover, the early departure from trek will also not included in our expense.
- We also don’t include the cost of international flights.
- The trip doesn’t offer the travel and rescue insurance.
- We also don’t include the phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra poter etc.
- We also don’t offer tips for guides and porters.
Trek start dates
1st Group: 1st of every Month
2nd Group: 15th of every month
Rara Lake TrekkingTrip Cost
- Destination: Rara lake Trekking
- Duration: 14 days
- Min-pax: 1-15
- Max altitude: 3190m
- Accommodation: 2 or 3 star level